The following resources may provide useful information and support about depression, anxiety, and post traumatic reactions and useful links to websites supporting clinical research in the U.K.
Undertanding mood disorders
The NARSAD and National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) websites describe symptoms and treatment of depression, PTSD and other affective disorders from a US perspective.
The Royal Collge of Psychiatrists website provides information about the affective disorders and their treatment from a UK perspective.
The National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) has produced treatment recommendations for the affective disorders in the UK.
If you wish to seek help for affective disorders via the NHS you should consider visiting your GP. You may also want to see if there is an Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) initiative in your area and if this takes self-referrals.
Additionally, the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy (BABCP) can help you find the nearest private cognitive behavioural therapists to you.
The Samaritans provide help and support at any time for those experiencing distress or dispair, including feeling suidcal. You can also telephone them on 08457 909090.
The SANE website provides information, help and support for people in the UK who are depressed and anxious.
The Depression Alliance is UK based charity which offers information, self-help groups and supports groups for depression.
The Royal College of Psychiatrists have published the help is at hand document which provides an informative summary of self-help approaches to depression.
Useful clinical research websites
- Department of Health R&D pages
- National Research Ethics Service (NRES)
- Integrated Research Application System (IRAS)
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR)
- NIHR Clinical Research Network Coordinating Centre (NIHR CRN CC)
- West Anglia Comprehensive Local Research Network
- Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency
- MRC Regulatory Support Centre
- Clinical Trials Toolkit
- Data & Tissues Tool Kit
- Experimental Medicine Tool Kit
- UK CRC Regulatory & Governance Advice Service
- NHS R&D Forum
- Social Services Research Group
- Current controlled trials
- Primary Care Research Network
- East of England Primary Care Research Network
- Mental Health Research Network
- Cambridgeshire and Peterborough NHS Foundation Trust
- NIHR Research Design Service for the East of England
- Department of Health calls for proposals
- The Uk Clinical Research Collaboration
- RD Direct – NIHR National Advice Service for Researchers
- National Information Governance Board